Scale bar is 1cm
Fringed Fescue -introduced (*Vulpia ciliata)
Native to Europe. Annual. C3.
Family. Poaceae (Grass family).
An uncommon weed.
- it is a slender grass
- the flowers form a narrow, contracted cluster
- the 1st glume very small 0.2-1mm long, and the 2nd glume 1.5-4mm
- the spikelets are 4-10 flowered, much exceeding the glumes
- the lemmas taper into a long (over 1cm) awn and are hairy with hairs from 0.5-2mm long
- the leaves are flat or rolled
- the ligule is membranous, and 0.0-0.6mm long.
The tiny first glume and the hairy lemmas (with hairs along the length of the lemma) are distinctive.
It is an environmental weed.
Vulpia: in honour of J.S. Vulpias, 1760-1840, a German Chemist; ciliata: fringed.
1: Lemmas are hairy over most of the lemma body. 2: Dried specimen. Taradale cemetery.