scale bar = 1cm.
Spreading Pearlwort - introduced (*Sagina procumbens)
Family: Caryophyllaceae (Carnation family).
Native of the northern hemisphere.
Occurrence: Uncommon. The specimen illustrated was a pot plant weed, Castlemaine.
- the leaves are narrow and pointed, and grow in opposite pairs
- the petals are tiny or absent
- the flowers are at the ends of slender stalks
- the green sepals have tissue-paper-like margins
- it is a spreading, mat-forming perennial.
Matted Pearlwort differs from Sagina apetala in that Matted Pearlwort
- is a perennial
- is often mat-forming
- often roots from the leaf nodes
- has sepals with translucent edges.
Photos 1: Pot-plant weed.