Scale bar is 1cm
Pin Rush - native (Juncus usitatus)
Family: Juncaceae (Rush family).
- the petals and sepals are small (less than 2mm long)
- the stems are 1-2mm in diameter, with crowded and moderately raised (25-40) striations
- the stems are not easily compressed
- the pith is interrupted, with about equal air spaces
- the seed cases are longer than the tepals
- the cataphylls (the straw-textured leaves at the base of the stems) are dark red-brown at the base.
Photo 1: Dried specimen. Castlemaine.