Scale bar is 1cm
Chilean Brome - introduced (*Bromus lithobius)
Native to Chile. Annual. C3.
Family. Poaceae (Grass family).
- the flower cluster is contracted
- the glumes are shorter than the lemmas
- the spikelets have up to 9 flowers
- the leaves are flat
- the ligule is up to 4mm long and squared at the tip
- the lemmas are awned and the lemmas have two small lobes at the tip
- the awns are about half the length of the lemmas
- the leaves, glumes and lemmas are hairy with short hairs.
Chilean Brome appears to be introduced as a lawn grass. Castlemaine specimens have been found in nature strips.
Bromus: a kind of oat; lithobius: possibly from litho: stone.
1, 2. Chilean Brome. The plant is softly hairy. The awn is about half the length of the lemmas. Castlemaine.