Is it a native?
Sterile Oat - introduced (*Avena sterilis)
Native to the Mediterranean area and Asia. Annual. C3.
Family. Poaceae (Grass family).
- it has a loose open flower spray
- the glumes are longer than the lemma bodies
- the spikelets have 2 or 3 lemmas
- the lemmas are awned
- the leaves are flat
- the ligules are 1-7mm long and finely hairy or hairless.
- the lemmas are hairy near the base and taper to short teeth (1-2mm long)
- the long awn (30-65mm) rises from the middle of the lemma
- the two lemmas fall as a unit.
It is an environmental weed.
1: Two lemmas united. 2: Flower cluster. Castlemaine-Maldon Road.